Aalto University is a new university with over a century of experience. Created from a high-profile merger between three leading universities in Finland – the Helsinki School of Economics, Helsinki University of Technology and the University of Art and Design Helsinki – Aalto University opens up new possibilities for strong multidisciplinary education and research. The university has 20 000 students and a staff of 5 000 including 350 professors.
The School of Arts, Design and Architecture (ARTS) is an institution of higher education for design, media, architecture, motion picture, art education and art. The current key areas of research are design, digital media, audiovisual representation, art, visual culture, welfare architecture and emerging technologies as well as urban planning and design. The school produces specialists and innovators of art, design and architecture with strong artistic and technical skills.
Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Department of Media invites applications for:
Lecturer position in Interactive Visualization
The position will be fixed-term or permanent and will be appointed to one of the three levels; University Teacher, University Lecturer or Senior University Lecturer, on the Aalto University lecturer track (see http://www.aalto.fi/en/about/careers/other_academic_positions/ ).
The lecturer’s duties include participating in the planning and development of education in Interactive Visualization, virtual reality technologies, 3D User Interfaces and programming, as well as in teaching and coordinating the MA courses. The lecturer also takes part in research activities, the guidance of students, in student selection processes and in administrative duties related to the study program and/or the department.
The lecturer is required to have at least a higher university degree, i.e. master level, and experience in teaching university level courses (incl. Universities of Applied Sciences) and their planning. Also artistic and/or scientific merits and good teaching skills are required. A strong professional portfolio illustrating successful creative outcomes, as personal work or as a member of inter-disciplinary creative teams, is required. The lecturer is expected to contribute to the development of the study programs in New Media in close collaboration with the department’s other academic staff and academic collaborators in other departments and schools of Aalto.
All applicants must have good oral and writing skills in English. Knowledge of Finnish language or studies of Finnish language is considered a merit. Native Finnish citizens are also required to have at least satisfactory oral and written proficiency in Finnish and Swedish.
Salary and working time
Aalto University follows the salary system of Finnish universities. Teaching personnel belong to the total working hour system, working 1600 hours annually.
How to apply
Please submit your application through the electronic recruitment system (link ‘Apply for this job’ below), no later than on 23 March, 2015 accompanying it with the following attachments:
- Motivation letter including your vision of the current state and future development in the field of the lectureship (max. 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae (including publication list and list of significant projects, exhibitions etc.), see example at http://www.aalto.fi/en/about/careers/tenure_track/for_applicant/curriculum_vitae_template_aalto_university.pdf
- Portfolio including max. 5 documentations of relevant art works, designs, projects and/or productions e.g. interactive media productions, computer graphics, computer games (in a single file, size limited to 100 MB). For each item please clearly indicate your personal contribution and professional role in the project and its final outcome.
- Teaching portfolio including teaching merits and approach to teaching, see instructions at http://www.aalto.fi/en/about/careers/tenure_track/for_applicant/guidelines_for_compiling_the_teaching_portfolio.pdf
All materials must be in English. The Departmental Committee reserves the right to request the applicants to submit additional material if needed.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of the following: artistic and/or research merits, relevant technical abilities, teaching, collaboration skills, as well as activity in occupational, art or research communities. The Departmental Committee will select applicants to visit the Department of Media in order to give a teaching demonstration on 22 May, 2015. The chosen applicants will be interviewed by the Departmental Committee and assessed by external evaluators.
– Concerning the job description and requirements, Professor Philip Dean, tel. +358 40 501 0736
– Concerning the application process, HR Coordinator Johanna Glader, tel. +358 50 524 0728, e-mail email@example.com